Accomplish any goal in just five steps:
- Establish a definite date – Set your goals in reverse. Pick a date of completion and work backward. For example, set a goal for the end of the month and then set short term goals for each day through the end of the month. This way you are setting short and long term goals and each day as you accomplish your short term goals you move one step closer to accomplishing your long term goal. Don’t forget to include personal development goals and days off.
- Keep a calendar – Take the goal you set for the end of the month and write that goal on the last day of the month. Then write down the short term goals for each day through the end of the month.
- One at a time – Don’t try to cram everything into one day. If you try to post to your blogs, post to the forums, post classified ads, participate in groups, submit articles and work on your actual job all in one day you will burn yourself out. Instead, focus on one or two things every day and then cross it off. Mark an ‘X’ on the calendar on the days you complete the scheduled tasks.
- Set a time limit – Aim for one to two hours per day. By limiting the time you are spending and focusing on one or two tasks every day, you’ll build momentum and increase your success rate.
- Stick with it – Stick with your schedule. Switching things up too often can get in the way of your success. And don’t be scared to re-work the plan. We have a tendency to over-estimate what we can achieve in a day and over-estimate what we can achieve in a year! After a week or two of following your plan, check your progress and re-work it to fit reality!
With a written plan, you’ll make accomplishing your goals easier. At the end of the month when you see more ‘X’s than empty squares, you’ll feel more accomplished. By implementing these 5 easy steps, you’ll find yourself making progress, building self-confidence, reaching – and accomplishing – your long term goals.